Saturday, July 11, 2009

Ignorance is bliss

All right, it is time to get real. This is so hard! I was so happy today to make some Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for lunch because, as I mentioned before, I am not throwing away the old food--just replacing it with better things. I was practically giddy pouring that powdered cheese packet and 3 tablespoons of Country Crock Spread into the pot. Within 15 minutes I served up lunch without any complaints from the audience, it was heavenly. Higher prices for better food are getting to me already too. Shopping frugally has been almost like a sport for me and some of these prices are just insanely high. All I can do is keep my focus on the "why" and not the "how." My father died from stomach and lung cancer this year at the age of 62, he was preceded in death by his younger brother who also had cancer. Why is there so much cancer? What has changed in America that cancer diagnoses are popping up everywhere? We eat much differently than we did 50 years ago...is that what's changed?

Today at the grocery store I was buying some Tostitos (which contain corn, oil and salt--that's it!) to serve with guacamole. My oldest son covered up the multigrain version with his hands and said, "please don't buy the multigrain!" He is now suspicious of everything I serve. He won't even eat the cinnamon raisin bread from Sunflower Market which is funny since he loves raisin bread and hasn't even tasted it yet. Oh well, if you are hungry enough you will eat anything (insert evil laugh here)...

No comments:

Post a Comment

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed